COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

City Operations
Covid19 Updates

COVID Vaccinations

The most current information available to the City on COVID-19 vaccinations is available here.

Where can I find information on current Reopening plans?

Visit and

Are the Parks Open?

Several parks are open on a limited basis as part of our Phase Two Reopening. Information is available at

Is the Beach Open?

Yes. The beach is open from sunrise to sunset with some restrictions.  Information is available at

Where can I report gatherings and face covering violations?

Residents are encouraged to participate in the compliance process by reporting violations to MyBroward. Enter the location of the violation, and select “COVID-19 Business Complaints” as the Type of Issue. You can also call the Broward County Call Center at 311 or 954-831-4000. Both types of reports can be made anonymously.

Is City Hall Open?

City Hall has limited in person operations.  We encourage you to do all your business online.  Updated opening information is available here.  We can be reached through our Hotline, available Monday - Thursday 8am - 6pm at (954) 457-1489.

What positions are currently available with the City of Hallandale Beach? 

Available jobs are regularly posted online. You can access them by clicking on the following link: Current Job Listings

Can I apply for jobs online? 

Yes, you may apply online by visiting the following link: Apply Online. Additional job resources can be found on Career Source Broward. 

Are City job interviews being held in-person or online?

Hiring managers are responsible for coordinating interviews, but during this pandemic emergency, interviews will be held by phone and/or video conference. Further details will be discussed when a hiring manager contacts you.

What if I have additional questions relating to employment? 

For additional information in regards to employment with the City of Hallandale Beach, you may contact our Human Resources team at (954) 457-1356 or you may email us at

How do I apply/re-certify for Food Stamps and/or Medicaid?

To reapply/re-certify for Food Stamps and/or Medicaid you will have to contact the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) by calling 850-300-4DCF (4323) or online at

What do I do if my landlord gives me an eviction notice?

Currently, courts are not processing eviction notices. We suggest that you may try to work with the landlord to establish a payment extension due to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. Contact Coast to Coast Legal Aid for legal assistance at (954) 765-8955.

Where do I apply for Unemployment Benefits?

The Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) offers assistance to people who do not speak English as their primary language and to those who have a limited ability to read, speak, write or understand English.  Espanol: 1 800 204-2418  Kreyol Ayisyen: 1 800 204-2418

Anyone who needs assistance filing a claim online because of legal reasons, computer literacy, language barriers or disabilities may call 1 800 681-8102.

How can I find a food pantry?

To find a food pantry, you can call the 24-hour Broward County helpline at 211 for food pantries and food distributions. Information on food resources is also available here

How can I apply for rent, utility, and other assistance?

The City of Hallandale Beach CRA is offering limited assistance for these issues through grants.  Find more information at

How do I apply for medical coverage if not eligible through the State of Florida?

You may call the Community Health Services of Broward County (Memorial Primary Health Care) (954) 276-9700.

When is the Hepburn Senior Mini Center reopening?

As of now, there is no scheduled date. Welfare telephonic calls will continue. The City of Hallandale Beach offers several ways to stay updated: Human Service Website, Senior VIP Listen Line: 954-457-1477, AM Radio: 1620, and the City's Website.

When will registered senior program participants receive the next Meals on Wheels delivery?

A staff member will contact you regarding the next delivery and/or pick-up times.

Are Public Records Requests still being fulfilled? How should we submit them?

Yes, our staff is working diligently to respond to public records requests as best as possible. To the extent the requested records exist electronically, and are available for remote access, staff will make every effort to provide these responses accordingly. However, if the records requested are not available electronically and cannot be accessed remotely, these requests will be delayed. You may submit Public Records Requests Here.

How and when may I view and participate in City Commission meetings:

In-person City Commission meetings are postponed until further notice. However, pursuant to Governor DeSantis’ Executive Orders, the City Commission is holding virtual City Commission meetings. The public is encouraged to subscribe to Notify-Me to receive information regarding notice of a meeting and access to meetings as necessary. 

Please click here to obtain a copy of past and future agendas in our Legislative Resource Center.

Is there Public Participation at virtual City Commission meetings or can I request to be on the agenda? How can the public participate?

Yes, Public Participation will be heard during the virtual City Commission meeting. Any member of the public who wishes to speak at said meetings can do so by registering with the City Clerk here. eComments is also available for both meetings through the Legislative Center by clicking here. The Public may email comment(s) beforehand to the City Clerk at, (MUST include name and address). Please submit no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled meeting to be heard. Comments submitted after that time may not be heard).

What is the non-emergency phone number for the Hallandale Beach Police Department?

(954) 764-HELP (4357)

More questions?  Submit your question here.